Universiti Utara Malaysia Library
Universiti Utara Malaysia Library, the university’s library is named Sultanah Bahiyah Library, Sultanah Bahiyah Library (PSB) caters wide resources of information, learning facilities and professional librarian assistance for all students and the faculty members. Currently, the library owns more than 2.99 millions of resources including printed and non-printed materials as well as the electronics media.
Flashback of Sultanah Bahiyah Library
The temporary campus was in Bandar Baru Darulaman. When the university campus in Sintok, Kedah was ready for operations in 1990, the library was among the pioneer departments to move in. The university campus is located at Sintok, Kedah; 48 kilometers north of Alor Setar, the capital of Kedah and 10 kilometers east of Changlun, a small town on the North-South Highway. Set on 926 hectares of forest and former tin mining land interspersed with streams and small lakes, it is one of the most beautiful campuses in the region. The campus is near Bukit Kayu Hitam, a new township on the Malaysia-Thai borders.
The library is housed in two buildings situated in the heart of the campus. It is equipped with the most up-to-date facilities for the use of students and staff. The 35, 766sq meter building has a seating capacity of up to 1600 persons including discussion and carrel rooms. The library was officially opened by His Royal Highness Al-Sultan Almu’Tasimu Billahi Muhibbuddin Tuanku Alhaj Abdul Halim Muadzam Shah Ibni Almarhum Sultan Badlishah, The Sultan of Kedah on 21st September 1999. The library is named after the late, Her Royal Highness Almarhumah Tuanku Hajjah Bahiyah binti Almarhum Tuanku Abdul Rahman, Sultanah of Kedah.
Rules and Regulations
- Only registered users and those who is approved by the Chief Librarian are allowed to use the Library.
- The registered users shall use his/her own smart matric card to produce passage at the pedestrian barrier in the Library and to display that smart member’s card upon request of the library staff when instructed.
- The registered users are prohibited from bringing in any food and/or drinks into the Library except for mineral water or plain water, smoking including conventional or electronic cigarettes, making noise, sleep or doing such other thing that may interfere the learning environment in the Library.
- Defacing, damaging or destroying any Library properties or any action which would result in the destruction to the said item is an offence. The said library users shall be liable to recompense the Library double the actual cost of the destruction property.
- The library users must abide by the Library rules and regulations.
- Every library users have to abide by the dress code of the University.
- The library users are prohibited to use any electronic device(s)/appliances(s) such as handphone, walkman, camera or others which may disturb other users.
- The library users shall obey the regulation(s) on the limits of books borrowed and shall be responsible to return same on the scheduled date therein.
- Fine will be imposed on late return of materials borrowed.
- The borrower shall be responsible on the item(s)/ material(s) borrowed. For any losses incurred, the borrower shall be charged double the price for the lost item. However the borrower may substitute the lost books which is similar or of the latest edition of the substituted item(s)/ material(s) thereof. In case of non-substitution, Chief Librarian may decide on the reasonable price to make good or to recompense for the lost item(s)/ material(s) now not available.
- The library staff reserve the rights to inspect bag(s), handbag(s), folder(s), file(s) or other property of user(s) before they leave/exit the library.
- Any changes of the users address must be immediately notified to the Library.
- Reservation of seats is not permitted. Any items left on the table more than 30 minutes unattended will be taken away by the library staff. The Library will not be responsible for the loss or damage of any user(s) personal item(s).
- The library user(s) is solely responsible for the safety of their own belongings brought into the Library.
- All counter services within the Library shall be closed 15 minutes in advance of Library closing time. The alarm bell will be rung twice to intimate the closing time. Library users shall vacate the library promptly at closing time.
- The library staff(s) shall have the right to instruct the user(s) to leave the Library for any intractions(s) of the Library or the University’s regulation(s).
- User(s) who bring out/in their possession any Library material(s) outwith post/past the electronic alarm without proof of receipt of any borrowing or without the sanction of the Chief Librarian shall be subject to disciplinary action by the University/The University Authority(s).