Universiti Sains Malaysia Social Work
Universiti Sains Malaysia Social Work, below is the information Universiti Sains Malaysia Social Work.
The Master of Social Work Program offered by the School of Social Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia is a programme that combines social work knowledge and field practice (practicum). It is designed to train social work practitioners from government and non-governmental organizations. This program helps student to work in the social work field at both micro (individual and groups) and macro (organization and community).
This Master of Social Work is a mixed-mode programme which integrates coursework, practicum and research. For the full-time option, the minimum duration is for three semesters (18 months) and a maximum of 6 semesters (36 months). For the part-time option, the minimum duration is six semesters (36 months) and a maximum of 8 semesters (48 months).
The aim of this program is to enhance the quality of social work services, theories and advanced social work practices. This program will train social work practitioners to become more holistic social workers who are skillful and competent. Training more professional social workers at the Master’s level will help increase the quality of social work services.
Increasing social problems in this country clearly requires a more competent work force in the field of social work. This program will help to increase the quality of workers in various social institutions and non-governmental bodies which are currently facing lack of skillful workers.
The main objectives of this program are as follows:
- The MSW Program will help fulfill the need for human work force in order to cope with various social problems in line with the caring society context. In addition, to produce students who are innovative, motivated, competent and committed in the field of social work practice.
- To expand and increase Master’s students with knowledge and specific skills in order to offer effective services as social workers.
- To produce more trained social work graduates that are clearly needed by many governmental and non-governmental organizations, industrial as well as private sectors.
- To enhance more research and expand social work knowledge by helping the country towards establishing quality social policies and human services.
 A bacholar’s degree in Social Work with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 from a recognized university.
* Other degrees with a minimum CGPA of 3.0 from a recognized university.
* Other degrees with a minimum CGPA 2.75 from a recognized university with at least five (5) years of working experience in the field of social services.
* Applicants with other degrees (#2 & #3) will be required to attend a social work preparatory course. They will have to write a personal essay (maximum of 500 words) explaining why they want to enroll in this programme. If necessary, they will be called for an interview.