Universiti Sains Malaysia Geology
Universiti Sains Malaysia Geology,
Master of Science – Applied Geophysics
The objectives of this programme are to equip postgraduates with a solid foundation in the field of applied geophysics; the ability to relate various Geoscience disciplines, concepts and practices; the capability to translate their knowledge and skills into practice; and the skills and motivation to pursue a doctoral programme.
The programme consists of 40 units of the following four core courses, three elective courses and one compulsory research project.
- Potential Field Exploration Methods (core – 4 units)
- Seismic Interpretation (core – 4 units)
- Geoenvironmental Issues (elective – 2 units)
- Formation Evaluation (core – 4 units)
- Remote Sensing Applications (core – 4 units)
- Engineering Geoscience (elective – 2 units)
- Petroleum Geoscience (elective – 2 units)
- Research Project (compulsory – 20 units)
Expertise available in the following School:
School of Physics
Applicants should possess the following:
- BSc (Hons) in Geophysics / Geology minimum CGPA of 2.75/4 or equivalent.
- BSc in Geophysics / Geology or equivalent with several years of experience in a relevant field.
(Applicable for International Applicants Only)
- A minimum score of 550 in Paper- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 213 in Computer- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of 80 in Internet- Based TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or
- A minimum score of Band 6.0 in IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
- The applicants native language is English or National language
- Applicant graduated from institutions of higher learning which use English Language as the medium of instruction.
- English courses offered by British Council.
- Passed USM’s Intensive English Course Level IV with minimum gred B.
- English courses offered by selected Public / Private Universities.
(Applicable for Malaysian Applicants Only)
- MUET Band 4
- Full-time: Min 2 semesters / Max 4 semesters