Universiti Malaysia Sarawak Entry Requirements
Universiti Malaysia Sarawak Entry Requirements, In UNIMAS, students are responsible for their own learning under the careful guidance of their instructors. On top of their core subjects, students are given the opportunity to select complementary courses from a menu offered by different faculties of the university. Student’s learning is optimised through a careful evaluation of individual course units and self-managed study for the development of the total individual.
The minimum requirements for entry into most undergraduate programmes are as follows:-
1. A good pass in the Sijil Tinggi Peperiksaan Malaysia (STPM) with a minimum of:
- Grade C (NGMP 2.00) in Pengajian Am; AND
- Grade C (NGMP 2.00) in two (2) other subjects,
2. A good pass in Sijil Matrikulasi KPM/Asasi Sains UM with a minimum
- CGPA of 2.00
3. A recognised Diploma in relevant fields
3.1 Malaysian University English Test (MUET)
3.2 At least a credit for Bahasa Melayu in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM)
- Entry requirements into professional courses such as Medicine and Engineering are generally much higher. In addition there are also specific requirements for entry into certain programmes. Further details can be obtained from the relevant faculties.
- For foreign students, the general requirement is a good pass in A level, Matriculation, Higher School Certificates or other equivalent pre-university examinations. Malaysian Government Policy states that admission into certain degree programmes are restricted to local students only.
Admission requirement postgraduates
Candidates must meet UNIMAS general requirements and specific requirements of the program. UNIMAS general requirements are as follows:-
Master Degree by Coursework
- A Bachelor degree with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or equivalent, as accepted by the Senate;
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent but with CGPA less than 2.50, may be admitted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experiencein the relevant field; or
- Other equivalent qualifications approved by the Senate
- For international students, a minimum IELTS Score of 6.0 or its equivalent ( e.g TOEFL-525; TOEFL Computer Test -196; TOEFL Internet Test 69-70 ) is required.
Master Degree by Research
Entry Requirements (as approved by Senate Nos. 02/2014-13)
- A Bachelor degree with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent, as accepted by the Senate; or
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent with at least CGPA of 2.50 and did not achieve CGPA of 2.75, may be admitted depends on rigorous internal evaluation, or
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent but with CGPA less than 2.50, may be admitted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in the relevant field.
- Other equivalent qualifications approved by the Senate.
Doctor of Philosopy Degree
- A Master Degree with good pass from an approved university in an area relevant to the candidate’s proposed area of research.
- Other equivalent qualifications approved by the Senate, or
- For international students, a minimum IELTS Score of 6.0 or its equivalent (e.g TOEFL-525; TOEFL Computer Test-196; TOEFL Internet Test 69-70) is required.