Universiti Malaysia Sabah Fakulti Perubatan
Universiti Malaysia Sabah Fakulti Perubatan,Check out Universiti Malaysia Sabah Fakulti Perubatan below
INTERNATIONAL ELECTIVE POSTING FAQ
- Do you offer any internship programs?
Answer: Yes currently our Faculty of Medicine & Health Science, Universiti Malaysia Sabah offer two elective posting programme:
- Community Posting
- District Hospital Posting
2. Do you accept students from Cardiff University (UK)
3. Is it possible to do elective for 6 weeks?
Answer:Minimum time frame for conducting elective posting is 2 weeks and maximum is six weeks. We also can adjust the duration of our electives in accordance with the student’s requirements upon request.
4. I am very interested in opportunities like running outpatient clinics at towns or villages near UMS or mobile clinics and I would like to participate in such activities or would most of the activities take place within the hospitals/campus? If there are such doctors, would I be able to attach to them directly? I also enquire about the level of involvement medical students are allowed.
Answer:We can only offer clinical attachment at District Hospital Setting. We have community outreach programmes but not specifically on curative but more on health promotion activities. We have outpatient clinic in our Rural Education Centre which also serves as a training clinic for students. The International students would NOT be allowed to do procedures. We can adjust the duration of our electives in accordance with the student’s requirements upon request.
5. Could you provide some details about the place of RMEC? I’m not too sure about the facilities available to students and mode of transport to district hospitals?
Answer:Rural Medical Education Center (RMEC) was built in Sikuati area and located about 180 km from main campus of Universiti Malaysia Sabah which was inaugurated by the Minister of Higher Education Malaysia, YB Dato Seri Mohamed Khaled Nordin on 18 January 2009. Previously it was operated at shop lot in Sikuati town.
This centre has an area of 20 acres / 8.09371 hectare and made up of several building blocks which are equipped with facilities as needed especially for year 4 medical students and for staffs.
6. It is to seek information regarding the elective programs offering in the Teaching Hospital of UMS, Faculty of Medicine & Health Science. I would like to know if Teaching Hospital of UMS offers a full 7 to 9 Months internship program in the departments of Internal Medicine, Surgery, Paediatrics, Gynecology, and Emergency Medicine. Kindly acknowledge me with the elective selections at the teaching
Answer:I’m sorry to inform that our School of Medicine do not offer any Clinical Elective Programme at the moment since we do not have teaching hospital building yet.
But we do offer International Elective Programme for Community Placement in Rural Sabah and International Elective Programme at Rural Medical Education Centre and District Hospital. You can refer to our brochure as attached or visit our website at
7. How to send you the supporting documents i.e via email or by post?
Answer:All original document must be submit either by hand (upon arrived) or post. You also need to make scan copy of all the documents and email it to the secretariat.
8. What type of health declaration required by you i.e Laboratory tests reports etc or any other (please specify)?
Answer:Only thing we need is a “FIT CERTIFICATE” certifying that the student is medically fit to undergo elective posting in a rural setting under tropical weather conditions. We need a fit certificate signed by the medical authority of your respective school.
At the present moment, additional immunizations other than Tuberculosis, measles, rubella and hepatitis B are not required. If there be an urgent need for additional immunization depending upon the unforeseeable circumstances & change in epidemiological situation, we will inform in advance.
The prevalence of Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, & HIV are much/much lower than 1% of the patients.
Mission & Vision