Universiti Malaysia Kelantan In English
Universiti Malaysia Kelantan In English, the Universiti Malaysia Kelantan (UMK; English: University of Malaysia, Kelantan) is a public university in Kelantan, Malaysia. The formation of the university was mooted during the tabling of the Ninth Malaysia Plan and approved by the cabinet of Malaysia on 14 June 2006. The launching ceremony was held at the end of 2006 by Prime Minister, Y.A.B. Tun Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. The first students were enrolled with the commencement of the June 2007 semester.
The Prime Minister of Malaysia announced the government’s approval to establish a university in Kelantan under the Ninth Malaysia Plan on 31 March 2006.
On 14 June 2006, a Cabinet Meeting approved the establishment of the university. Taglines such as “Entrepreneurship is Our Thrust” and “Entrepreneurial University” are used to promote the philosophy of the university. Studies are grouped into three fields:
- Entrepreneurship and Business ;
- Creative Technology and Heritage;
- Agro-Industry and Science of Natural Resources.
Apart from the three fields of study, emphasis is given to acquiring language and soft skills.
The Growth of the university
- The temporary campus of UMK at Taman Bendahara began its official operation on 1 July 2007 with the registration of 295 pioneering students. On its second year of operation, beginning July 2008, the university registered 332 students.
The first Vice-Chancellor of University Malaysia Kelantan was Prof. Dato’ Ir. Dr. Zainai bin Mohamed, who was appointed on 1 October 2006.
UMK operates in three campuses from its main campus in Bachok, second campus in Jeli and also their temporary campuses in Pengkalan Chepa.
UMK has three campuses in the state of Kelantan:
- Pengkalan Chepa Campus (Kampus Kota)
- Bachok Campus (Kampus Bachok)
- Jeli Campus (Kampus Jeli)
These facilities can be found on each campus:
- Database Centre. As an alternative source of information for users, the library has a central database for information that can be accessed through the internet. The Database Centre has 26 thin client terminals for users.
- Self Check Out Terminal The library has a self check-out terminal to provide a smooth and quick means of borrowing library materials.
- Book Drop Library users can return library materials through the book drop counter that operates at all times.
- Database. The library has academic databases that can be used to access research material and other publications.
- Shuttle Bus
- Sports and cultural facilities
- Security guards
- All doors have an Access Control System that uses cards to gain access.
- Computer Lab
- Counselling Centre
- Language Lab (recently available in Pengkalan Chepa campus)
- Spa Lab (only in Pengkalan Chepa campus)
- Science Laboratory (only in Jeli campus)
- Biology Lab
- Chemistry Lab
- Materials Science Lab
- Food Lab
- Environmental Lab
- Geoscience Lab
- Mineralogy Lab
- Husbandry Lab
- Natural Resources Lab
- Multipurpose Hall
- Wireless internet access throughout campus