Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Architecture
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Architecture, Idea implementation architecture at the National University of Malaysia began around 1971. Architectural Seminar Conference National Cultural Congress held during the year have made a resolution that read.
Development History of Architecture Programs Offered by Department of Architecture
Idea implementation architecture at the National University of Malaysia began around 1971. Architectural Seminar Conference National Cultural Congress held during the year have made a resolution that read:
“To carry out the wishes of inspiration, the objectives of producing architecture-based National Malay art elements. Rapid learning in this area must begin as soon as possible. A complete faculty of architecture at the National University should be established where all facilities to foster learning facility can guarantee progress “.
However, the desire to implement the architecture program at the National University of Malaysia can be realized only in November 2002. It is housed in the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture Department of the fifth department under the auspices of the faculty. The first intake was implemented in June 2003 and at that time, the programs offered are Bachelor of Science in Architecture.
By April 2005, the Department of Architecture UKM has produced graduates of Bachelor of Science in Architecture first of 17. In June 2005 also, the Department of Architecture for the first time introduced the Bachelor of Architecture course for Part II of the Qualifying Board of Architects Malaysia.
Mission and Vision
The direction of the Department of Architecture (JSB) UKM is, ‘Being an academic institution that is known globally for its distinctive, professional learning center, and generating research and development based on national identity architecture’. Direction of supporting the mission of UKM ‘university that upholding the Malay language and universalize knowledge of local culture’. Although this direction is not able to solve the issue of National Identity in Architecture as a whole, but this is a first step towards cultivating architectural listening to the community and the surrounding built environment.
To achieve this vision, the following strategies have been outlined, namely,
- Community as a major patron of architecture taking into account the community closer together, improve security, reduce the level of emotional disorders and to improve the health of the community in the design produced.
- Application of the accounting aspects of the sustainable elements of climate, energy, material and economic architecture design.
- Preserve, appreciate and apply the architectural heritage in Malaysia in architectural design.
- Awareness of moral and ethical values and belief systems related to Malaysian culture in architectural design.
Programs offered by the department are:
- · Bachelor of Science in Architecture (3 years)
- PostGraduate (Taught Course)
- · Master of Architecture with Honours (2 years)
- PostGraduate (Research)
- · Master of Architecture (MSc)
- · Doctor Philosophy (PhD)
The faculty adopted the semester system. This system divides the academic session of two periods of similar length and distinctive. A semester consists of several weeks of lectures, tutorials, laboratories and so on, week mid-semester holidays and exams. In this system, students gather the number of units required to earn a degree within the period allowed.
The minimum period is five (5) semesters and a maximum of ten (10) semester, subject to existing regulations.
Students must take and pass at least one hundred twenty two (122) credit hours.