Fakulti Sains Sosial Universiti Malaysia Sarawak
Fakulti Sains Sosial Universiti Malaysia Sarawak, Faculty of Social Sciences started its operation on 5th August 1993 at Room 529 of the Administration Building of Telekom Training School in Semariang, Kuching, Sarawak. On 2nd October 1993, the faculty moved to UNIMAS temporary campus in Kota Samarahan. Faculty of Social Sciences was one of the first two faculties to offer undergraduate academic programmes when UNIMAS started operation during the academic session of 1993/1994. At that time, the programmes of studies offered by the faculty were International Relation, Industrial and Labour Relations, Social Work, Communication Studies, Development Planning and Management, and Politics and Government. All these programmes were applied in nature in which graduates were equipped with both theory and practice to enable them to compete in the labour market. Staffed by only nine academic members, a total of 78 students were enrolled in the first batch on 9-10 August 1993. In the 1994/1995 academic session, a total of 78 students were offered to study in the faculty. However, the lack of facilities in UNIMAS temporary campus at Kota Samarahan had limited the student enrolments to 63 in 1995/1996 and 56 in 1996/1997. Nonetheless, in 1997/1998, the total number of student enrolments had reached to 270; and the number of academics increased to 17 In the 1997/98 academic session, about 70 new students were enrolled in the faculty. At that time, teaching and learning infrastructures were much better, and the faculty was able to increase its new student intakes by two folds, as compared to previous academic sessions, to 191 in 1998/1999 academic year, bringing to a total number of students enrolled in the faculty to 368 by the end of 1998. As of semester 2 of 2009/2010 academic session, the total number of active students enrolled in the faculty was 634. To date, Faculty of Social Sciences had conferred a total of 2,399 graduates in Bachelor of Social Sciences degrees and 74 graduates in Masters degrees.
- To attain an outstanding level of teaching, learning and researching in the field of social sciences.
- To instill the spirit of striving towards excellence and integrity in pursuing social science knowledge and research.
- To contribute to societal and national development in an intellectual context.
- Train and produce graduates in various disciplines of social science armed with critical thinking and analytical skills who possess skills in application of information technology and communication (ICT).
- Offer postgraduate programmes in certain fields.
- Establish a conducive environment for research and publication that support quality teaching and learning.